Operating Room Technician – Surgery
Would you like to take your career to the next level? Are you interested in becoming a Veterinary Technician Specialist in Surgery or Anesthesia? GCVS can help you grow your career.
We are accepting applications from LVTs or recent graduates from veterinary technology programs for a full time Operating Room Technician. This position works a 5 day work week with 8 hour shifts and a 1 hour lunch break. Shifts will be from 2pm-11pm Monday-Friday each week. Must be able to work evening shifts. Our Operating Room Technicians are responsible for anesthesia induction and maintenance, surgical preparation of patients, circulating in the operating room, scrubbing in to assist during surgical procedures, immediate pre and post-operative treatments and recovery of surgery patients.
Our technicians manage their cases with a variety of pre and post-op medication protocols. They continuously monitor their patients during surgery with the assistance of pulse oximetry, ECG, capnography and Doppler blood pressure.
If you are energetic, enthusiastic and really enjoy anesthesia and surgery – please apply today!
Qualifications and Skills
Applicants must be graduates of an AVMA approved Veterinary Technology Program and must obtain their LVT status within two years of employment. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide restraint of pets for examination and treatment by veterinarians. Prepare medications (both injections and dispensed medications) for both outpatients and inpatients.
- Complete all necessary paperwork associated with surgical procedures.
- Calculate drug dosages.
- Log out and administer controlled substances.
- Pulling all packs and equipment needed for surgical procedures and setting up the O.R.
- Induce, maintain and monitor anesthesia; prepare patients for surgery; circulate in the operating rooms; scrubbing in to drape off patient, set up instrumentation and assist surgeon during surgical procedures; administer I.V. fluids; provide supportive therapy to patients in surgery, recovery and post-operatively.
- Take dictation from the surgeon at the end of the surgical procedure in order to record the surgery report and post-operative treatments.
- Cleaning up the O.R after a procedure has been completed so it is ready for the next case to come in.
- Help the doctors treat patients; assisting in medical or minor surgical procedures such as irrigating wounds, implant removals, medicating and bandaging.
- Collecting blood and urine samples for laboratory analysis and submitting samples to the Lab.
- Accurately recording all surgical procedures, diagnostics and treatments in patients chart and circling all associated service codes for invoicing.
- Maintain anesthesia machines and monitors.
- Access digital radiographs utilizing e-film software.
- Operate stationary and mobile digital radiography units.
- Perform daily and weekly cleaning duties.
We offer an excellent benefit package: Continuing Education; dues to professional associations; 401K plan; uniform allowance; paid holidays, vacation and sick leave; health insurance, dental/vision insurance, life insurance, as well as long and short term disability.
Salary is competitive and directly related to experience.