Certified Pharmacy Technician
It is the pharmacy technician’s responsibility to maintain the pharmacy, handle client &outside pharmacy phone calls, & help doctors, CPC’s & CST’s with prescriptions. This position requires a very organized and dependable individual who can manage multiple tasks simultaneously with a great deal of positive energy. Client communication skills are paramount. This person must be willing to go the extra mile for the clients and have a “Can Do” attitude.
include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Educate Clients about medications
- Assist clients in refills of medications and food
- Retrieve incoming calls for refills/food
- Retrieve messages from pharmacy voice mail
- Return Client Calls in order of priority
- Investigate refill requests and ensure they have proper approval by the case doctor
- Relay any messages to Doctors
- Call Clients back with Doctor’s response.
- Call Pharmacies with prescriptions if needed.
- Fill prescriptions
- Take phone calls/read e-mails.
- Stock food
- Help maintain pharmacy appearance.
- Restock all drugs/white goods
- Communicate with pharmacy director about ideas
- Order medications/white goods when needed
- Help balance controlled drug books and manage Cubex.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing client services. This includes evaluating client needs, meeting quality standards, providing an exceptional client experience, and evaluating client satisfaction.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures, including word processing, designing forms, maintaining files, dictation and transcription, communicating via email, and using computer programs to manage and maintain client and patient information.
- Extensive knowledge of drug usages, generic and brand names, possible side effects/reactions for the more common drugs, and controlled substances protocol.
- Using social perceptiveness to be aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do. Ability to modify approach as appropriate.
- Knowledge of clinic procedures in support of streamlining clients’ experiences with us.
Education and/or Experience: A High School diploma is required, an Associate’s degree (A. A.) or Bachelors’s is preferred, or related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education/experience. CPhT certification is preferred.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed herein are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Controls over Work:
The PhT must use initiative in carrying out recurring assignments independently without specific instructions while always keeping client service/patient care as their number one priority. Any deviations, problems, and unfamiliar situations must be communicated to the administrator. Maintain time in an accurate and trustworthy manner in all areas of responsibility, including a 90% attendance and punctuality rating.
Professional Appearance: All doctors and staff are required to maintain a professional appearance at all times. This includes covering non-standard hair color, visible tattoos, or visible piercing except for standard-size ear piercing. Hoop jewelry, ear lobe extenders, and tongue piercings are prohibited for safety. This also includes adhering to company dress codes and maintenance of standard hygiene.
Computer Skills: Must be experienced with basic computer, printer, multi-line phone, fax, and calculator tasks and operations. Able to work with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Instant Messenger, and Internet/Intranet. Willing to learn and work with Cornerstone software applications.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as medical documents, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals and logs. Ability to write routine correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to clients, doctors, and coworkers while delivering medically oriented information. Ability to handle misdirected negative emotion and behavior. Supportive and encouraging attitude towards clients, patients, and coworkers. Expresses thoughts and ideas effectively while recognizing the need to be “the support network to our clients and patients.”
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide into all measure units, using whole numbers and decimals. Ability to compute proper change amounts, tally daily closings totals, and recognize potential errors in client charges. Ability to compute proper drug dosages, recognize potential errors with prescribed drug amounts and client charges.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to differentiate between major and minor issues related to service and accuracy and the care of clients and patients. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to recognize potentially dangerous situations (both seen and unseen) and diffuse or modify the situation.
Teamwork: Ability to work cooperatively with coworkers to accomplish a common goal while maintaining your personal accountability for individual tasks; and maintaining constructive working relationships with others. Ability to use service orientation to look for ways to assist other staff members while prioritizing your time and duties to maintain practice efficiency and level of service provided to clients/patients.
Continuing Education: PhT are encouraged to attend on-going training and seminars and complete correspondence coursework to advance their veterinary medicine and client service knowledge continually. Additional training or educational work may be required in some circumstances, and it may be necessary to come in when unscheduled or after hours for some of these sessions. Financial assistance may be available.
Job Type: Full-time