THR Pre-Operative Care
Total hip replacement pre-operative care is very important! You, your veterinarian, and Gulf Coast Veterinary Surgery, Orthopedics & Neurology are all part of your dog's health care team. We will work together so your dog will enjoy the new hip for life. The following are important points to remember:
- Please discontinue all anti-inflammatory medications (i.e. Rimadyl, Aspirin, Phenylbutazone or Etogesic ) 5 days prior to surgery. Discomfort, for this time, can be minimized by restricting activity.
- The leg must be bathed and rinsed thoroughly the day before surgery. The shampoo used normally is adequate or any mild shampoo, such as baby shampoo may be used.
- Please do not give any food or water after midnight the night before surgery. We ask that you give your dog plenty of time in the morning to void bladder and bowels.
- Your dog must be dropped off between 7:15 AM - 7:30 AM the morning of surgery unless prior arrangements have been made directly with the surgeon.
- We will make every effort to contact you as quickly as possible after surgery. One of the Intensive Care Technicians may be the first to call with an update. The Exam Room Technicians and the ICU Technicians are here not only to provide patient care but also to act as a liaison between you, your dog, and the doctor. Feel free to call them for updates and any questions you may have prior, during, and after your dog's stay with us.
- We closely follow all Total Hip Replacements for the life of the patient. Therefore, if you change your address and/or phone numbers, please let us know so we may keep current information on your dog. Periodically, short questionnaires may be sent to you. Please help us by returning them. We love to hear how our patients are doing.